The Marchman Act is a Florida law that enables families and loved ones to provide emergency substance abuse services and temporary detention for people who are impaired because of their substance abuse, and who are unable to determine their needs for treatment. People who require the use of the Marchman Act have often lost the power of self-control, and they are likely to inflict harm to themselves or others.
Expert staff at the Florida Recovery Center can assist loved ones and family members with the Marchman Act process. We have more than 25 years of experience in working with families, caretakers, friends and loved ones who have required special assistance with getting someone to treatment. If you would like to speak to one of our knowledgeable counselors, please call 352.265.4FRC(4372).
Marchman Act Steps
- Obtain and complete proper forms (by clicking link above)
- Bring appropriate forms to local clerk of court
- Clerk of court will issue order for law enforcement to pick up patient.
- Patient will be brought to UF Health Shands Psychiatric Hospital / Florida Recovery Center for evaluation.
- Patients may also admit themselves on a voluntary basis.